Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Costa Rica Zip-Line!


I never thought I would try zipping on a line, high above the ground, surrounded by jungle-like brush...but "friend and cousin pressure" found me rigged up in special equipment to do just that. I felt fairly macho with all the sturdy hooks, chains and wraps...I especially liked the helmet. An AARP Magazine article I had recently read, recommended trying at least one "out of your comfort level" adventure per year to keep young. This was mine. In the end...I loved it and Sharon, (photo above in action) who was eager to do this adventure, hated zip-lining and couldn't wait to be back on the ground.
Back at camp, (Left to right) me, our guide, Laura, and Sharon took a celebratory photo.



My least favorite part of zip-lining was the ride up the mountain. We loaded into a tractor-pulled, open-aired trailer with about 15 other people. For being newly acquainted, we were certainly experiencing a close encounter of the uncomfortable kind. We were pressed together far more tightly than I've experienced with people I've known for years--especially as we ascended the hill, gravity had me in another persons space and someone I just met was in mine. The tractor's engine grinded loudly as it struggled to climb higher, toward the first zip-line platform. I was uncertain whether the professionally secured (yeah right...professionally secured...in Costa Rica?) hitch would hold strong. I could visualize our fate: a slow-motion careen over the edge of the cliff....never to be heard from again. But alas, we successfully reached the mountain top, safely scaled 13 zip-lines, and arrived back to our starting place without incident. It was far more pleasant than expected. I didn't like the ride up...but I loved the ride down!


2 comments:

  1. I don't remember you sharing this part of your adventure before! Mark and I recently met a guy here in Crooked River Ranch who owns 16 acres of rim/river property. He's in the process of hooking up a zip line along the canyon. Not something I'll be doing....but maybe you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't? I thought I share everything. But a Crooked River zipline? Across an open canyon? I don't think canyon zip-lining will be my thing...but you never know. At this time, I prefer soft landings on lush jungle underbrush compared to an abrupt landing on jagged hard rocks. That's just me, though.

    ReplyDelete