Monday, March 29, 2010

Timeshare Thoughts...


I'm not a fan of timeshares. I think they are expensive and one is limited to when and where one can go based upon current availability. Even though, from my experience, during a "timeshare presentation" the sales person implied that trading was "easy." What I think he meant to say was...”trading is easy if you don't want to use it on Christmas break, spring break, summer break, or Thanksgiving--when everyone else wants to use their week.”

Having said that...I love mine. I didn't have to pay the initial buy-in fee (which I learned was $10k). My dad and mom did that. They used it for several years before they decided they no longer wanted to travel extensively, nor did they want the expense of the annual maintenance fee. They gifted it to me and my siblings. Each of us received 1/4 share in their home resort, a 2-bedroom unit, red (best rated) week near Mt. Hood, Oregon. So we get to use it once every four years. Perfect. And it turns out, even though the annual maintenance fee (which is really a weekly fee since my parents only purchased one week) is nearing $600—this fee still represents a fairly decent value for a 2-bedroom unit. In other words, it is not likely I could find a 2-bedroom unit in a resort of this caliber for less than $86/night.

Yet, I have not used the (home) Mt. Hood resort since I received this "gift." I live in the Northwest—near Mt. Hood. Generally my choice extended vacation is to travel to warmer climates. So we are a member of RCI (timeshare exchange). And this costs money too. Just to join an exchange group can be several hundred dollars for a 3-5 year membership period. Fortunately, if my siblings also want to exchange during their year, we could split this expense. RCI then charges an additional fee to make an "exchange." There is one price for within the U.S. and another (higher) price for international exchanges. So far, I have traded to Whistler, Canada, and to Kona, Hawaii. My siblings have made exchanges to Hawaii, Lake Tahoe, Scotland, and Montana.

But for me, the best part of being a timeshare owner and member of RCI is the “extra” or “last minute” vacations. These make my ¼ ownership expenses worthwhile and I get more bang for my buck. For instance, last year we purchased a last minute 1-bedroom week at Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix, Arizona for around $400. It was a beautiful property and well worth it. Another time we purchased an extra vacation in St. Thomas at Bluebeard’s Castle (a “just okay” timeshare with magnificent views in a tropical Caribbean location) for around the same price. Again, a great deal due to the location. And once, we booked a two-bedroom unit at a Welk Resort in Escondido, California. This was an amazing resort property with several pools, walking areas, and access to lots of area recreation for $800 for a week, but split between two couples, ended up at $400 each.

Before booking, I compare hotel prices, vacation rentals by owners, and other options before determining whether or not an exchange or extra vacation is the “best” deal. When it is a great deal…I book it. I would never purchase another timeshare week (or even points)…why should I? I can get all the extra or last minute vacations I want…without a weekly (annual) maintenance fee. I can search properties on line at RCI.com, pay a discounted rate, and travel only when it’s convenient for me. Once retired, we hope to take even greater advantage of these bargain prices!

***Above photos (during Whistler timeshare stay): Me! on the top of the highest peak...seemed like looking out over the top of the world (going up on the ski lift was far worse than coming down), 1 of 23 bears spotted on Whistler "Bear Tour," and Whistler flowers...oh, so pretty.

1 comment:

  1. I've never thought much of timeshares, but you do always manage to get good deals.

    ReplyDelete