Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The French Riviera




Our first port on this itinerary was Cannes, France on the French Riviera. Every stop seemed uniquely special...turning each one into my "favorite." The first time I went to Paris --in February 1996--I was a bit overwhelmed by the people. It was my first trip overseas and I found the "French" to be rather rude. I don't know if this trip felt different because I have a bit more travel experience under my belt. Or maybe it's because people are more laid-back on the riviera than in Paris. But I loved this part of France and would definitely go back. The people seemed warmer...friendlier...and that is a good thing!

We toured several towns in the riviera via motor coach and the scenery looked a lot like Italy to me. (Or Italy looks a lot like the French Riviera.) Small villages were filled with unique church steeples, courtyards, olive trees, architecture, and more. Diana and I shared a true french chocolate pastry in Frejuis and it was divine. France apparently closes down on Sunday, so it was difficult to find any shops, cafes, bakeries (patisseries) open for business during our short visit. The one thing I noticed on this trip--and don't remember seeing the last time I was in France or Italy--were carousels. Along the waterfront, a large pastel carousel greeted us with soft white lights and french music. Delighted children hugged the painted wooden horses as they glided up and down, and drifted round and round while their parents watched. Yet the carousels weren't just in France. I noted one in Lucca as well as Genoa, and several other cities throughout our travels. Since I never noticed even one during my last visit, I wondered, "are carousels a winter activity that disappear once summer arrives?" I will certainly be looking to see if this is seasonal when I return in May. The French Riviera definitely needs more exploring!
photos on left: Frejuis, France. photos on right: Cannes, France


No comments:

Post a Comment